RECIPE: Spicy Chili Bean Stew
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 large can of diced tomatoes (I threw the whole can in as it had spices in it as well)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (made from water and one cube of veggie soup stock concentrate)
- 1 large can kidney beans
- 1 cup diced white potato
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 cup spiral pasta or wild rice
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- fresh ground pepper / sea salt to taste
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 package of veggie ground round (I used Italian flavour)
- Optional : 2-4 tbsp additional dried spices based on what you have in your spice rack.I also had ½ a zucchini and a bit of red onion that I wanted to use up and threw in there.
1. In a pan sauté the onions and garlic until they are translucent.
2. In a Crockpot add in all the remaining ingredients except for the chopped greens. You can add these just before serving to slightly wilt them into the soup.
3. Cover and simmer on low for as many hours as you can – to be honest I forgot about it and it just chilled on medium heat for about 8 hours. Periodically check in and add/take out broth if need be.
4. Don’t forget to watch out for those bay leaves when serving. I added peppercorn goats cheese to garnish it.
5. Serve and store leftovers, however I didn’t eat it till the next day because it reduces overnight and thickens up. Makes one large crockpot.
I originally got this recipe from Babble but I changed it up a bit.
If you scroll down you can see the complete meal of Spicy Chili Bean Stew and Cornbread.